Crown Royal is currently the best selling Canadian Whiskey in the United States. It was created in 1939 especially for the visiting King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of England, but it didn’t hit the international markets until 1964. It is currently owned by the spirits giant Diageo.
The aging process for the nearly 50 different whiskies used to make Crown Royal is done in Gimli, Manitoba. The blending and bottling processes are carried out in Amherstburg, Ontario.
Crown Royal Offering Varieties
Crown Royal offers a large array of whiskies varied by the specific blend of whiskies, aging processes, rarity of blend components, and flavors.
- Deluxe – The flagship brand. A blend of up to 50 different whiskeys aged in oak barrels. The signature decanter style bottle and purple felt bags it comes in are visual icons in the world of liquor.
- Northern Harvest Rye – A similar blend to the Deluxe but uses more rye grain whiskies.
- Black – The Deluxe blend aged in charred oak barrels and bottled at a higher proof, 45%abv as opposed to 40.
- Blender’s Mash – A blend with more focus on corn whiskies.
- XR – A blend of some of the rarest whiskies Crown Royal has at their disposal, boasting the fact that it contains one of the last batches from Canada’s fame LaSalle distillery, which closed in 1993.
- XO – A select blend aged in cognac barrels, similar to the original process used to age the whiskey given to the Royal Family in 1939.
- Reserve – A blend selected by the master distiller themself of only their most exceptional whiskies with additional aging.
- Wine Barrel Finished – The name says it all, a select blend finished with additional aging in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels.
Out of the number of flavors that have come into the Crown Royal repertoire over the years, not all have stood the test of time. For now, the currently available flavors are Salted Caramel, Vanilla, Apple, and Peach. Although in the past they had a Texas Mesquite, Honey, and Maple, which you can still probably find at a local liquor store that just was never able to get rid of the whole case.
Crown Royal Pricing and Availability
Crown Royal Deluxe, Black, Northern Harvest Rye, and all of the flavors are available in all sizes ranging from 50ml minis to 1.75 liter magnums. While the Blender’s Mash only comes as a 375ml or 750ml bottle. For the Master Series on whiskies they are all only available as 750ml bottles, except for the XO which is also available as a 375ml half bottle.
The signature series and flavors all have similar pricing for a 750ml bottle ranging from about $25-$35. The Master Series whiskies are a bit more with the XO and Reserve being the cheapest at around $45 a bottle. The Wine Barrel Finished floats around the $65 mark and the XR makes the big jump up to $150.
Below are the latest Crown Royal prices –
|Type||Bottle Size||Starting Price|
|Crown Royal Fine Deluxe||750ml||$26.99|
|Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye||750ml||$26.99|
|Crown Royal Black||750ml||$28.99|
|Crown Royal Bourbon Blenders' Mash||750ml||$30.99|
|Crown Royal XO||750ml||$43.99|
|Crown Royal Reserve||750ml||$46.99|
|Crown Royal Wine Barrel Finished||750ml||$59.99|
|Crown Royal XR Extra Rare||750ml||$139.99|
|Crown Royal Vanilla Flavored||750ml||$27.34|
|Crown Royal Regal Apple Flavored||750ml||$27.99|
|Crown Royal Salted Caramel Flavored||750ml||$28.07|
|Crown Royal Peach Flavored||750ml||$30.99|
There are a number of Canadian whiskies on the market today that could substitute for the States’ most popular brand, but just like American bourbon and whiskey, not all are created equal. One brand of Candian Whiskey that is almost as popular as Crown Royal in the states is Candian Club, which sits at a much more affordable price point of around $12-15 for a 750ml bottle. At around the same price as Crown Royal is Lot 40 and J.P. Wiser’s, both are great whiskies and are labeled as Rye Whiskey.
Cocktails With Crown Royal
- 1.5 oz Crown Royal Whiskey
- .75 oz Honey Syrup*
- .75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Dashes Angostura Bitters
In a mixing tin dash bitters, add honey syrup, lemon juice, and whiskey Shake vigorously and strain into a double old fashioned glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lemon twist.
*To make honest syrup at home simply mix equal parts honey and water by volume. Using hot water makes this easier or you can make a larger batch by heating the mixture on the stovetop.
Black Whiskey Sour
- 1.5oz Crown Royal Black
- .75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- .75 oz Simple Syrup
- 1 Egg White
Separate a fresh egg white into a mixing tin, discard yolk and shell. Add lemon juice and simple syrup, seal shaker and shake vigorously without ice or whiskey. Open the shaker and add whiskey and ice, shake vigorously. Strain into a double old fashioned glass over fresh ice, allow the froth to settle on top. Garnish with a lemon twist or wedge and cherry.